Is That Even Legal?
Game Changer: Meet Nona Lee, Chief Legal Officer, Arizona Diamondbacks
On August 14, 2021, the modern-era record in Major League Baseball for most no-hitters thrown in a season was broken in a sensational way by Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher, Tyler Gilbert, who achieved the feat in his first career big league start…the first time that has happened since 1953! Gilbert tossed the no-hitter as the team defeated the San Diego Padres 7-0 at Chase Field in Phoenix. The following Monday, Bob sat down with another D-backs game changer: Nona Lee, the club's Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer.
From pioneering the role of women attorneys and people of color in the front office of the MLB, to negotiating game-changing deals that have led to an amazing spring baseball venue, an international training facility, and a breakthrough sports betting experience for fans, Nona Lee has had an amazing impact on America's pastime…and she is just getting started. Tune in as Bob interviews Nona about (among other things).
- What is the team's J.E.D.I. Counsel (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion), and what does it do?
- What was it like when you were pioneering the role of a woman sports General Counsel, and as one of few women of color in such a leadership role? What is getting better? What remains to get done?
- What is the new rule regarding betting on sports in Arizona and how will it impact the fans? How does the deal you did with Caesar's enhance the fan experience?
- What is the role of the top lawyer in international deals for the club?
- How does MLB salary arbitration actually work?
Follow this amazing journey and find out what is next for this game-changing lawyer! We begged Nona to let Bob throw out the first pitch in an upcoming game. Don't bet on that.
All content © 2021 Is That Even Legal?.